137 students fall ill at Mangaluru hostel due to suspected food poisoning | Mangaluru News – Times of India

0
68

[google-translator]

MANGALURU: As many as 137 nursing and paramedical students took ill due to suspected food poisoning at a private hostel in Mangaluru’s Shaktinagar on Monday.
The students were rushed to various private hospitals in the city at night.
City police commissioner N Shashi Kumar said the students were admitted to at least five hospitals in the city.
The students had developed stomach ache, vomiting and diarrhoea since 2am on Monday and the college authorities had not shared any details with the family members, which reportedly caused panic when the parents realised the seriousness of the incident.
Relatives of the students had gathered outside the hospitals where they had been admitted.
It is suspected that water contamination could be the reason for food poisoning. Though the students complained of severe distress at 2am, they were brought to the hospital after 9pm.
Sources said the condition of some of the students was serious.
While 52 students were admitted to AJ Hospital, 42 were to Fr Muller Hospital, 18 to KMC, 14 to Unity Hospital, eight to City hospital and three students were admitted to Mangala Hospital.
“We are yet to get details on the health conditions of the students. I visited two hospitals and students looked tired due to their sickness. Though the incident had occurred in the wee hours, the police came to know of the incident late in the evening,” the police commissioner said.
DCP (Law and Order) Anshu Kumar said that it was learnt that some students consumed food in the mess of their respective hostel after which they started complaining of stomach pain, loose motions and vomiting. It seems to be a case of food poisoning.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here