All News At Finger Tips

CBI to seek Switzerland help to track G Janardhana Reddy’s money trail | Bengaluru News – Times of India

BENGALURU: A special court for CBI cases in Bengaluru has paved the way for the investigating agency to seek assistance from competent authorities in Switzerland, the UAE, Isle of Man and Singapore in tracking the money trail in the illegal mining case allegedly involving mining baron and former minister G Janardhana Reddy.
Allowing four separate applications filed by the CBI in connection with the Associated Mining Company case wherein Reddy is arraigned as accused No. 1, special judge E Chandrakala on March 4 ordered the issuance of letter rogatory to the authorities in these countries for judicial assistance in investigation and collection of documents. The applications were filed under Section 166-A of CrPC.
The CBI had filed the chargesheet on September 7, 2013. “The accused had transacted iron ore illegally to the extent of more than 7 to 8 million metric tonnes in 2009-2010. A substantial portion of the amount was suspected to be parked in various countries.
Therefore, the issuance of the letters of request is essential to find out the company and bank account in the name of GLA Trading International Private Limited in Switzerland,” the CBI had said. The CBI had also sought permission with regard to GLA Trading International Private Limited at Isle of Man, Singapore and UAE.
CBI said details of these companies, their owners and authorised signatories and real beneficiaries, and relationship of Reddy and his wife Aruna Lakshmi with these firms and bank accounts need to be looked into.
“As per information, the money gained through illegal mining would form part of the proceeds of the crime and it is necessary to trace it and initiate legal action,” it added.
CBI had said though information was provided, it was not in the form required under Indian Evidence Act. As per the agreement, India and Switzerland as well as UAE are members of International Criminal Police Organization and a letter of request can be made to the competent authority for probe outside India as per CrPC section 166A.

Source link

Exit mobile version