The Delhi government has allocated ₹1,862 crore for getting a large number of electric buses over the next 10 years, while the Centre has provided ₹150 crore.
Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal on Tuesday flagged off ‘150 electric buses’ of the Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) in the national capital, while urging citizens to ensure they were not dirtied. He also boarded one of the buses from the Indraprastha depot for a ride to the Rajghat Bus Depot. Delhi transport minister Kailash Gahlot and chief secretary Naresh Kumar accompanied him during the bus ride.
Soon after, he shared images of the same on Twitter and urged the people of the national capital to travel at least once in “Delhi’s luxurious electric bus”.
“These are your buses. Please take care of them, don’t make them dirty,” he further wrote.
According to a report by news agency PTI, the Delhi government has allocated ₹1,862 crore for getting a large number of electric buses over the next 10 years, while the Centre has provided ₹150 crore. The Delhi CM thanked the central government for providing the funds and said the target is to get 2,000 electric buses in a year. “We give them the credit. Work should happen in Delhi,” he added.
He further said that it is for the first time in the history of Delhi that 7,200 buses will be plying on the roads of the national capital, adding the AAP government plans to procure 600-700 CNG buses as the manufacturing of electric buses takes time.
Delhiites will be able to travel free of cost for three days starting today. The transport department in an official communication on Monday said, “All the officers and the operational crew of DTC may be informed accordingly and not to insist commuters for purchase of tickets, during the aforesaid period of 03 days in all pure electric buses of DTC.”
According to officials, 500 new public e-vehicle charging points will be made operational in Delhi by July. At present, there are 597 e-vehicle charging points in Delhi, which include points set up in malls and markets. Individuals are also applying for e-charging points.
(With inputs from agencies)
A 24-year-old Delhi engineer who went missing last week during a trek at Lonavla near Pune has been found dead in a 40-feet deep gorge near Duke’s Nose on Tuesday, police said. Efforts are being made by a joint team, which also comprises police and National Disaster Response Force personnel, to retrieve Farhan Shah’s body, said Pune Rural superintendent of police Abhinav Deshmukh. The search for Farhan Shah began soon after.
The ruling Bharatiya Janata Party in Karnataka on Tuesday announced its candidates for the upcoming biennial elections to the Legislative Council. Former chief minister and senior BJP leader BS Yediyurappa’s son, BY Vijayendra, who is the present state vice president of the party, has been denied an MLC ticket by the central leadership. The biennial election will be set for June 3.
A special court in Mumbai has remanded the four accused arrested from Gujarat in connection with the 1993 Mumbai bombings case in the Central Bureau of Investigation custody until May 30. Abu Bakar, Sayyed Qureshi, Shoeb Qureshi, and Yusud Bhatka were arrested on May 17 over 29 years after serial bomb blasts rocked Mumbai and left 257 people dead. The CBI sought their custody for 14 days for custodial interrogation.
Delhi has been built, destroyed and rebuilt many times over. Dating from the early 17th century, the so-called Old Delhi is not really old, compared to Delhi’s other cities. But its dense history makes it appear ancient, like a young person’s prematurely greying hair. Also known as the Walled City, most of its stone wall has been lost to time. Its neighbourhoods and streets barely retain the substance of their original character.
The Saket District Court in Delhi on Tuesday reserved its order for June 9 on the appeals against a civil judge order dismissing the suit which alleged that the Quwwat-Ul-Islam Masjid situated within Qutub Minar Complex was built in place of a temple complex and sought its restoration. Additional district judge Nikhil Chopra asked the parties concerned to file written submissions within a week.